National Launching of the EASE-CA catalogue of local Sustainable Solutions for Kenya virtually via zoom.The EASE-CA Catalogue presents local solutions which are popular in East Africa used by at least more than 1000 people and is composed of 80 cases available electronically for mobile appliances (phones and computers) online https://www.localsolutions.inforse.org/ INFORSE
EASE CA Catalogue Overview
East African Civil Society for Sustainable Energy & Climate Action (EASE-CA project Partners); JEEP, UCSD in Uganda, SusWatch and TaTEDO in Kenya and Tanzania respectively; members of INFORSE NGO Cooperation, supported by CISU, Denmark provided inputs for Catalogue of local climate sustainable energy solutions, following an agreed template and with solutions sorted according to functions. The Catalogue is made for people that need cleaner and better energy and other needs for their life and for development in climate friendly an affordable ways. The EASE-CA catalogue comprise of successful local solutions for better energy use in:
- Cooking (Improved cookstoves for charcoal, improved cookstoves for firewood, cookstove biogas, solar cookers hey boxes, e-cookers).
- Cooking Fuels (charcoal making, Brickets of charcoal, saw dust, fuel wood planting).
- Light, Electricity (light solar lanterns, solar home system, Renewable energy minigrids and multifunctional platforms).
- Water (Rain water harvesting and use, improved wells and water savings).
- Growing food, oils (Kitchen gardening, Organic vegetables for market, Agro-forestry and products from trees).
- Transport (Animals for farming and transport, Electro mobility, bicycles)
EASE-CA Catalogue presents local solutions which are popular in East Africa used by at least more than 1000 people. The Catalogue provide details on social and economic benefits of the technology, costs for construction, lifespan, problems and limitations, motivation for success, contribution to climate effect, financing models, business models and short video on construction and how does it work. The Catalogue was edited and made available electronically for mobile appliances (phones and computers) as well as in off-line version that can be used on computer or mobile phone without internet access, and as a printed catalogue.
The Catalogue seeks to address climate problems and is being promoted throughout the three countries through local and national mass media, as well as via internet, social media, events, and student volunteers. The catalogue was launched on 11th December 2020 in occasion of the 5-year anniversary of the Paris Agreement and it will be updated by partners as long as possible.
For more information: Visit the following sites
http://localsolutions.inforse.org/ or www.suswatchkenya.org
Virtual Official Launch Program
Welcoming Remarks Speech
East African Civil Society for Sustainable Energy & Climate Action (EASE&CA) Project is project being implemented by SusWatch Kenya, alongside Tanzania, Uganda and Denmark in promotion of sustainable energy and climate solutions in East Africa within a period of 3 years (2019-2022). As an organization we wish to introduce to you the EASECA catalogue which is part of the activities under the project. The catalogue seeks to address climate problems and is being promoted throughout the three countries through local and national mass media, as well as via internet, social media, events, and student volunteers.
Presentation SusWatch Kenya
The Way Forward for the Local Solutions Promotion and Scale Up in KEnya
- Development of media strategy for the catalogue including social media campaign to promote the local sustainable solutions and use of catalogue. (Local languages).
- Introduction of students volunteers from universities and institutions of higher learning to local sustainable solutions and use of online catalogue.
- Engaging the students’ volunteers in the dissemination of local sustainable solutions.
- Introduce and engage the relevant ministries on the EASECA catalogue and discussions on the scale up strategies under some of their activities as well as opportunities. Like the min. of energy, environment.at both county and national levels. Share the links to the catalogue, .Activity under this idea may include: meetings with the relevant ministries.
- Promote the local sustainable solutions during national thematic days such as world environmental day.-share the printed brochure
- Identification of representatives of Self-Help Groups/CBOs, Women groups, Youth groups, Faith Based Organizations and entrepreneurs at grass roots and introduce the local solutions.
- Public education/awareness creation-grassroots to enhance uptakes-community meetings. (Concept note).-This will be achieved through the Self-Help Groups/CBOs, Women groups, Youth groups, Faith Based Organizations and entrepreneurs at grass roots.
- Participation in trade fairs and exhibitions
- Introduction and promotion of the local solutions through energy centers (16 Kenya) in Mtwapa (Kilifi), Bukura (Kakamega), Busia, Garissa , Homa Bay, Jamhuri (Nairobi), Kericho, Kisii, Kitui,Lodwar (Turkana), ,Marsabit, Migori, Mitunguu (Meru) Mirangine (Nyandarua), Wajir and Wambugu in Nyeri County.
- Identify focal persons in districts/Sub Counties/Counties to help in the dissemination and promotion of the local solutions (Must be self-motivated and with interest in the subject e.g. environmentalist, social workers, entrepreneurs etc.) eg ward administrative, sub county admins, village admins, chiefs , assistant chiefs etc
- Advocacy strategies:- developing policy briefs on local solutions, decision makers /stakeholders meetings /individual organization activism on local solutions, traction in national /county policy or budget
- Identifying the constraints or failures of scale up of a particular solution and address them.
- Identifying opportunities for collaboration and partnerships.
The Catalogue is published by Partners of the Project “East African Civil Society for Sustainable Energy & Climate Action” (EASE-CA), a Project by members of the civil society network INFORSE – International Network for Sustainable Energy. The Partners are: JEEP and UCSD in Uganda, Suswatch in Kenya, TaTEDO in Tanzania, which is also INFORSE-East Africa Coordinator, Nordic Folkecenter for Renewable Energy (NFRE), and INFORSE Secretariat in Denmark. More on the EASE-CA Project: www.inforse.org/africa/EASE.htm. The online database behind the Catalogue is designed by NFRE. The EASE-CA Project is supported by CISU – Civil Society in Development, Denmark in 2019-22.